[AT] Freeze plugs

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Thu Nov 7 20:11:04 PST 2019

You’re following the basic method of installing a freeze plug. The hole in the block needs to be clean with no pits, the plug needs to be smooth around it’s entire surface with no apparent flat spots.

Clean the hole until it’s shiny, look for any rust pits and burrs. Don’t sand/file/scrape too much since you could open up the hole a little, or make it out of round. The hole should have a small chamfer to it.

Most people put a sealant (your choice) around the hole and then insert the plug, some put the sealant on the plug and then put it in the hole. I prefer do do both, the rational being that if you put it only on the block, you may actually wipe most or all of it off as the plug is driven in. Make sure that whatever you use can take the heat of a hot engine.

The plug should be driven flush with the block surface using a socket or other device that fits snuggly in the plug. Using something too small can result in putting a small dimple in the plug (depending on how hard you hit it) and that may pull the rim of the plug in, making for a poor fit. Driving it in too far will result in the rim of the plug being deformed and making poor contact with the block.

Before you drive the plug in make sure it’s sitting square in the hole. Set it in by hand if you can and check that it looks pretty square. Then start to drive it in, don’t try to drive it in with one big hit. Start to tap it in and keep checking that it’s going in square. If you notice that the plug winds up not flush all the way around the hole after you drive it in, tap the high edge lightly with a hammer until the edge is flush. Another option is to place a flat piece of metal stock (larger than the plug) over the plug and drive the plug in until the metal stock sits flush on the block.

Carl