[AT] Osages to maples

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Wed Nov 6 17:57:24 PST 2019

I don't have box elder here, at least that I've recognized, but there's no
shortage of honeysuckle.   There's a little bit of black cherry but I
generally leave it alone since it's a "nice" woods tree as opposed to the
masses of honeysuckle and osage orange.

Osage, in my experience at least, is in a class by itself.   As Mike
mentioned it makes outstanding firewood (if throwing sparks isn't a
problem).  I think I read somewhere it has the highest BTU content per unit
volume of any hardwood in the eastern half of the country.   It also
practically never rots so it makes excellent fenceposts, and I've given a
little to a guy who wanted to make archery bows.  But it makes you work darn
hard for every last piece.   The young trees are covered with wicked thorns;
the old ones are twisted and sprawled out and interlocked with their
neighbors.  Mighty little of it is long enough, straight enough, and free
enough of suckers and side branches to make for easy working even after the
tree is on the ground.

My general approach has been as Carl described, chainsaw and big burn piles.
But with osage, you have to paint the outer edge of the cut stump with a
herbicide or next year you'll have the thorniest nastiest bush you can
imagine, which will flatten your tractor tires when you bush hog it and then
will grow back anyway.    Taking a shovel and digging all around the stump
helps me cut the stump at or below ground level while hopefully keeping the
chainsaw out of the dirt, but adds to the work.   The wood is so hard I've
taken to only using carbide chains, since the regular ones just get
worthless dull way too fast.

The only roots I ever pull are the ones that have surfaced enough to be in
my way or were right where I wanted to plant one of the new maples.   I
usually use the Super M, but the 620 and I think the Ford 3600 have had a
few turns at it also.   And I'm talking about one individual root, maybe 2"
to 6" in diameter.   I don't think any of those tractors would pull out a
complete osage tree or stump, if the tree were any bigger than about 2"
diameter.

For stumps that are too big for me to feasibly just cut off at ground level,
I burn them out.   Works better if I dig out around all sides first, but
that is work with a capital W (see attached photo from this past March).
Cut the tree, cut and haul off any firewood I want, dig around the stump,
load up the stump with big logs, pile on the small stuff, fire it up.
Sometimes I take the chainsaw and cut slots down into the stump, but that
risks getting the chain in the dirt.   Once in a while the stump will catch
fire below ground and burn down like a seam of coal, and I'm always happy
when that happens.

All of the above makes no sense if time is important, and honestly I'm not
sure I'd have tackled the big hedgerow if I'd really understood beforehand
how much work it would be.   Hiring somebody with a serious dozer would be
the practical way to do it.

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris, Ohio