[AT] Hydraulic Issue Solved

Carl Gogol cgogol1971 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:27:46 PST 2019

About 6 weeks age I sent a question to the list concerning the hydraulics
stalling an International 140 equipped with a Triumph (Alamo) side mount all
hydraulic sickle bar mower.  It would stall when activating the positioning
rams.  I had described how changing the hydraulic valving to a Husco 9210
mono-block valve that had detents for the motor control in both directions.
Reversing the mower makes for easy clog removal.  My problem was that the
engine would stall when I extended the two rams used in positioning control,
negating the value of the new control.

I received several replies and after experimenting with the suggestions the
only thing left was that the pressure relief was perhaps set too high.
(sorry I don't remember who suggested that) Pulled the relief cartridge and
found no markings of pressure set point.  So I  took it apart and there was
no obvious way of adjusting it.  Took it to the local hydraulic shop (Nu-Way
hydraulics).  They  told me there was no way to adjust it but with younger
eyes told it was manufactured for 3050 PSI.  Since the system works at 1600
PSI I had a target.  E-bay search found a NOS Husco valve that looked like
it was adjustable and had the same OD threads as mine.  Seller confirmed
thread OD but could tell me no more.  I bought it and amazingly had it the
next day.

Bottom line, when I got it, it was cheap, adjustable and fit.  Was able to
adjust it and with a gauge set it for 1700 PSI during operation.  The
problem of actuating the rams is solved.

Getting too cold here to want to try cutting with it this year, it still
needs a lot of hammering to better set the knifes' clearance.  Besides, my
shoulder may be better in the spring.  Bought a 4Lb. Harbour Freight
"engineering" hammer just for the job.  The short handled 3 Lb. is just too
light!

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to answer my problem.  Thank you
ATIS ( I forget the new name).

Carl

Manlius, NY