[AT] Hydraulic issue solved

Carl Gogol cgogol1971 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 13:00:19 PST 2019

About 6 weeks age I sent a question to the list concerning the stalling of
an International 140 equipped with a Triumph (Alamo) side mount all
hydraulic sickle bar mower.  It would stall when activating the positioning
rams.  I had described how changing the hydraulic valving to a Husco 9210
mono-block valve that had detents for the motor control in both directions.
My problem was that the engine would stall when I extended the two rams used
in positioning control.  I received several replies and after experimenting
with them the only thing left was that the pressure relief was perhaps set
too high.
I pulled the relief cartridge and found no markings of pressure set point.
So I  took it apart and there was no obvious way of adjusting it.  I then
took it to the local hydraulic shop (Nu-Way hydraulics).  They  told me
there was no way to adjust it but with younger eyes told it was set for
3050PSI.  Since the system works at 1600 PSI I had a target.  E-bay search
found a NOS Husco valve that looked like it was adjustable and had the same
OD threads as mine.  Seller could tell me no more.  I bought it and
amazingly had it the next day.
Bottom line, when I got it, it was adjustable and fit.  Was able to adjust
it and with a gauge set it for 1700 PSI.
Getting too cold here to want to try it this year, it still needs a lot of
hammering to better set the knife clearance and my shoulder may be better in
the spring.
I bought a 4Lb. "engineering" hammer just for the job.  The short handled 3
Lb. is just too light!
Carl
Manlius, NY