[AT] tractor related employment preparation

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 07:22:25 PST 2019

This link sows that the ASABE (American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers) is a component member of the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABET

[Cecil Bearden] Back in the day... ( about 1972 )  when I first went to OK state Univ.  I was enrolled in Mechanical Power technology it was a 4 year program.  I spent a semester in that program and then changed to Agricultural Engineering.  Then spent the next 20 years trying to explain to people that I was not the guy to ask about growing tomatoes.....!!  I really wanted to major in hydraulic power as it was at the forefront at the time.  When I started college,  Oklahoma State Univ was the leading university for hydraulics due to the agricultural emphasis.  By the time I got to courses in my major, the professors and the program had transferred to Oklahoma University due to grants from major construction manufacturers.  It was too late for me as I had a scholarship to OSU.  I remained in Ag Engineering and got special permission to major in large tractor systems.  When I graduated, the big guys were in merger and acquisition phase and I could only find one job within 1000 miles of home.   That was in the NE portion of OK designing straw choppers for combines.   After 2 years of contracting earthwork and sprinkler systems I went to work for the State and spent the next 30 years trying to farm...

[Stephen Offiler] My only point, which is not addressed in either of the links provided, is that engineering technology is a 2-year program while engineering (to the Bachelor's level) is a 4-year program.  To be perfectly clear, I mention this in direct rebuttal to James' previous comment which implied engineering technology degrees are 4 years.  That said, my knowledge and experience is in the mechanical engineering field.  Perhaps there are other branches (Aerospace?  Chemical?  Nuclear?) where the techs have 4 year degrees.