[AT] tractor related employment preparation

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Nov 3 06:05:01 PST 2019

Back in the day... ( about 1972 )  when I first went to OK state Univ.
I was enrolled in Mechanical Power technology it was a 4 year program.
I spent a semester in that program and then changed to Agricultural
Engineering.  Then spent the next 20 years trying to explain to people
that I was not the guy to ask about growing tomatoes.....!!  I really
wanted to major in hydraulic power as it was at the forefront at the
time.  When I started college, Oklahoma State Univ was the leading
university for hydraulics due to the agricultural emphasis.  By the time
I got to courses in my major, the professors and the program had
transferred to Oklahoma University due to grants from major construction
manufacturers. It was too late for me as I had a scholarship to OSU.  I
remained in Ag Engineering and got special permission to major in large
tractor systems.  When I graduated, the big guys were in merger and
acquisition phase and I could only find one job within 1000 miles of
home.   That was in the NE portion of OK designing straw choppers for
combines.   After 2 years of contracting earthwork and sprinkler systems
I went to work for the State and spent the next 30 years trying to farm...
Cecil