[AT] Common Buckthorn, our current invasion.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 16:58:26 PST 2019

This stuff is "extremely" invasive... If it isn't in your area yet just
wait, it will be. Between it taking over and the Emerald Ash Borer killing
all of our ash trees our wood lots and forest are changing radically.
https://fmr.org/buckthorn-how-can-a-shrub-be-so-harmful
It is a very hard wood or at least is here. I once made a longbow out of it
and I almost can't draw it. I just saw some folks using thin stems to make
wreaths. If you have one of those small high efficiency air-tight stoves
that require the wood to be split down pretty small it can serve well as
firewood. I have a smallish batch cut to make walking sticks. Quite small
diameter sticks are very strong. I have not tried it yet but it may well
make good strong arrows if they can be straightened well. I believe they
can.
This stuff is a tough kill, partly because it is so invasive. You don't
want to just spray everything in sight but it takes over so bad it is
almost everything in sight.
There must be a half zillion versions of this plant.
Old tractor connection: I can see this stuff being trained to grow straight
and making first rate sickle mower pittmans.

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA