[AT] handshake plowing contest

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 14:38:40 PST 2019

A real test would have been a Fordson Model F outfitted with the aftermarket Ferguson-Sherman duplex hitch. The two might have performed equally and Ferguson-Sherman could have suppllied the parts to Ford for inclusion as OEM options. if I remember, the Fordson F was front heavy and could have benefitted from weight transfer to the rear wheels.

[Jack] The Ferguson Brown Type A on iron was tested at Dearborn using a three point hitch plow. Would it have performed as well with rubber tires. I think I remember this was the model with aluminum castings.

Henry Ford had a Fordson tractor competing with a trailing plow. Henry had an Allis Chalmers standing by as backup to the Fordson. Was the Allis Chalmers the model AC made that was meant to take over the market for Fordson F buyers. Was the Fordson also on iron?

How would the test have gone if they were plowing full size farm fields? The FBA might not have showed much advantage on longer furrows.