[AT] Farm tractor dealerships

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue May 21 10:32:21 PDT 2019

   In the early 60's we got into farming.  Our place was located in the
Washita River Valley of Oklahoma.  Chickasha, OK was the heart of the
Washita Valley.  Some of the best farmland in the state was in that
river valley.  Of course, since my Dad's father had lost his life
savings to another family member when he bought a quarter of land in
Arkansas that was 2 ft under water when they finally arrived by covered
wagon, we had to buy some hill land that was very marginal and had been
taken out of production by the Land Bank in the 50's due to the farm
land being eroded.  We are still trying to get that 40 acres of that
land covered in grass or something green.  There was every farm
equipment manufacturer represented in our area.  Our closest neighbor
was a Moline man through and through.  Moline and Oliver were separate
dealers in Chickasha then..  There also was John Deere, Massey, IHC,
Case, New Idea,  Ford also owned by the ford car dealer, and Allis
Chalmers.

Recently I bought an old Manure spreader that was a big round cylinder
that has a pipe with chains welded to it and run by the PTO.  When we
scraped the crap off of it we found a sticker from Hawkins Implement,
the Moline dealer in Chickasha.   It brought back memories of plowing an
80 ace field with a 2-16 trail plow pulled by a Z Moline tractor
converted to Propane.

Cecil