[AT] Farm tractor dealerships

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Tue May 21 07:27:41 PDT 2019

Clearly the combination of consolidation of manufacturers, John Deere's
forcing of consolidation into dealership groups, declined farm
profitability, larger farms, larger machinery have all decreased the
amount of dealerships that still exist here in California too. In our
county/valley , in the peak time in the 1930s/1940s, there were
Caterpillar, Oliver, Allis Chalmers, IH, Cletrac, Ford, Case, not near
but also John Deere and Massey Harris dealers. By the time I began
farming in 1974, the only remaining dealers in our county were Ford and
Allis-Chalmers and over in Santa Clara County there were still IH,
Caterpillar, Ford and Massey-Ferguson.
      As I have noted over the years, the Salinas Valley in the 1940s to
1960s was serious Oliver country because of the superior cultivating
Tractors, Caterpillars for working soil and in the southern part of the
valley Allis-Chalmers was pretty common, with a lot of IH too. John
Deere was around, but not a large number of units until the 1980s
really. New Holland and Hesston (owned by Oliver for quite a few years)
were the main hay balers sold in the 1960s onward.
     Today, there are no farm equipment dealers left in out county or
Santa Clara County. This is driven both by suburbanization and fewer
farmers. In the Salinas Valley, there are New Holland, Caterpillar /
Challenger / Massey Ferguson (Agco), John Deere, a new CaseIH dealer of
a huge group and that is it. Interestingly the John Deere dealership
that was bought by RDO, has competition from the family owned operation
further down the coast and they do about the same amount of service and
sell almost as many units as the Salinas brick and mortar (or rather
steel building lol) RDO store. The result of all of this is that most of
the newer tractors are John Deere, MF / Challenger and New Holland.
CaseIH is somewhat of an also-ran with most of the units from out of area.
      An added note, Minneapolis-Moline never had a dealership in this
area and Case barely sold anything that was not construction equipment
prior to Tenneco purchasing IH. Cletrac sold a few units in the 20s/30s
to the orchards, but never the larger tractors and Oliver OC-6s
accounted for most of the crawler sales. They were VERY popular in the
50s/60s for winter vegetable planting and bed working. I wish I had one
of them.... That is on my antique tractor "bucket list" with 80" tracks
like nearly all were here.
                  Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer