[AT] Agricultural Engineers was kill a tractor company and get a pardon

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat May 18 06:18:59 PDT 2019

I interviewed for Hesston corp a couple of years after graduation.
Spent half a day touring the factory in Kansas that made straw choppers
for combines.  Finally the guy told me ( in the parking lot) that he
would love to hire me but I would hate the job as I would always be
fighting the other engineers to provide access points to maintenance.
He also told me to find a small short line factory/fabricator because I
had been on the farm too long to make it in the world of cost driven
engineering.
I went to work as a water engineer for the state of OK 3 months
later...  I had only taken one course in surveying in Ag Engineering.  I
had convinced my advisors that I was going to work for a manufacturer
and specialize in hydraulic power technology..    Most ag engineers go
to work as civil engineers or mechanical engineers after graduation.
Our courses are a combination of civil and mechanical with a slant
toward farming and the special analysis it requires.  Now the department
is labeled Agricultural and bio systems engineering.  I saw red when
they changed the name as I had fought for recognition as an agricultural
engineer in every engineering group at the time...  I got so irritated
that I gave up on all of the professional societies and in 1987 I took
the P.E. test in Oklahoma for Civil Sanitary and Structural engineering
due to long established practice and passed with one of the top highest
scores in the last 20 years I was told..  I then took every engineering
training course that the Army Corps of Engineer, Soil Conservation
Service, and the Bureau of reclamation.   In 1998 the OK board of
registration decided to audit my professional development hours. I
submitted 857 hours for their review and they determined that I had the
required 32 in the last 2 years!!!   In 2007 I took early retirement and
went into consulting.  The first 2 years were pretty lean, but now I can
make as much in one short week as I did in a month and not have to put
up with the head cases I had to work with....  Anyone who has worked in
a large organization knows what I mean..
Cecil