[AT] 430V and First cutting of hay...

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sat May 18 21:00:25 PDT 2019

Quick antique tractor update:

Due to the failing health of a friend, I picked up two new hayfields, at least temporarily. Probably a total of 4 1/2 acres new to me. Very nice fields of good fescue with some orchard grass planted in. So I brought in 358 bales over the past week between all three fields(6.5 acres). The Ford did cutting, baling,  and tedding, and the John Deere 430V did the raking.   I would put the Pacer on tedding, but the previous owner put a twist in the PTO shaft of the tedder, so it only goes in so far. I can’t slide the shaft in enough to get it on the PTO of the Pacer.

My animals are not crazy about predominately  fescue hay (they eat it OK but I can sense they are secretly writing letters to PETA complaining about the treatment they are getting :-) so I sold about 150 of the fescue bales. Will probably use that money to get a new shaft.

Also, I cuss that damn NH 3 point #57 hay rake every time I use it. A new hay rake is probably in my future as well.  I am seriously thinking of a wheel rake this time.

I realized with the extra seat time in the 430V, that I have an issue with it running a bit rich. I can always tell “rich running” by a slight stinging in my nostrils. Plus whenever the governor opens up I can see some black smoke. I’m not sure what I can do as I’ve been through the carburetor a couple of times and even replaced the load mixture needle assembly completely.  If I turn it down anymore, it falters when the governor opens up. But at it’s currently setting  it clearly is allowing the tractor to run a bit too rich.

I am going to double check timing and all my settings.

Spencer Yost