[AT] Russian Metric uses BSPP was Thought to ponder

bloomis at charter.net bloomis at charter.net
Sun May 12 05:46:15 PDT 2019

John's experience is the same as mine. All the European wine equipment are
metric, DIN, and IEC components but all the pneumatic and water fittings are
usually plain ol' NPT. I initially expected 'metric' pipe. No such animal.
An exception are DIN fittings which are in MM. But those same DIN ends and
nuts were used on inch size stainless sanitary tube. BSP is the PITA of the
lot. One Italian company, a DE filter, used 80 DIN (3") non-taper ball
valves with BST. From the factory the threads are wrapped with what looks
like oakum and those suckers are tight. There's something from the dark
ages. Perpetually difficult to get to seal and trying to orient the valve
handle in a useful place was difficult at best. Solution? Cut the straight
threads off and weld on I-Line fittings, which 99% of hoses and fittings are
in a winery. That or TC. Then a valve can be replaced in one minute.
Brad