[AT] Russian Metric uses BSPP was Thought to ponder

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun May 12 05:07:36 PDT 2019

I've got 30 years in a machine shop and have yet to see a metric pipe
thread--because it doesn't exist to my knowledge. We do a lot of German
and Japanese work, it is always British pipe thread, either tapered or
straight. The whole planet seems to scream at the US to go metric, but
they haven't developed a metric pipe thread. Yet all "normal" threads
are 60 degree V thread form, but the British pipe are 55 degree.
Furthermore, it depends on what country is building the piece of
equipment as to the actual designation of the thread on the print--Trust
me, no blue print ever made it so simple as to say "British pipe
thread". There are 3 or 4 accepted/common designations for British pipe
threads.  It is a mess of a system to say the least.

John Hall