[AT] OT: the inch is somewhat metric Cast iron work on a replica cannon

Phil Auten pga2 at basicisp.net
Sun May 5 18:49:23 PDT 2019

I can relate, Jim. In May of '68 I started at Texas Instruments right
out of tech school (basic electronics). My first job was in the
Semi-automatic Testing group of Division 1 (DOD contractor). I was given
a short training period and was assigned to program a semi-automatic
component testing machine for assembled printed circuit boards called
"Fixit". This machine tested the individual components on the assembled
PCB to make sure they were the correct value in the case of resistors
and capacitors. Diodes and transistors were checked for correct
installation. Coils/chokes/transformers were checked for continuity as
well as long etch runs and plated through holes.

The program was hand written on a coding form and sent offsite to a
contractor where the code was punched into IBM punch cards and a paper
tape was produced. The program was tested and modified as needed. When
the program was finalized, a Mylar tape was produced for production boards.

This was at least a two week process for pretty simple PCBs, much longer
for complicated or large PCBs.

There was another machine called the DITMCO for testing wiring
harnesses, built by the Drive In Theater Manufacturing Company. Yup,
they used it to test out the wiring for drive-in theaters.

I hadn't thought about paper/mylar tape in years before this.

Phil in TX