[AT] OT: Stripped hole repair was Cast iron work on a replica cannon

ustonThomas Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 3 07:31:09 PDT 2019

I have only used for sparkplug repair on my V10. A tap block was not necessary in that application. The tooling aligned on the deep hole in the head. A special insert was used that included the spark plug seat. Hellicoil inserts are known to fail in this application. The tooling with inserts was 300 dollars. I have 200000 miles on the repair. They have generic sizes that should work for the Canon. Look at the timesert web site. Tooling should be about 75 dollars. Many sizes available on Amazon.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 8:43 AM, James Peck<jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:   Do you use a tapping block to help the tap enter the hole straight?

[David Myers] If I remember correctly, a Keen Sert also uses a regular size bolt tap.  No special tools required.  I agree with Steve on the sealing of the threads.  Very strong installation.