[AT] Allis G

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun May 26 05:05:07 PDT 2019

I was at a Ford Romeo (MI) factory 28 years ago. They had a number of Ford tractors with welders fitted to the rear and driven by PTO. This location was manufacturing bumper fascias at the time. Tractor production had been stopped there a few years earlier. They simply drove the tractor to where they wanted to weld.

I worked in Marion Ohio two different times. I do not know how it was named. Hornell, New York, had the next big repair shop to the east.

[Dave Maynard] Jim, the military uses air cooled diesels for a number of things. I have a 480,000 BTU salamander that uses a 7 horse single cylinder Diesel as well as a 5 KW [military rated and really outputs about 7.5 KW] that is a two cylinder air cooled diesel. The generator is nice because it's on it's own trailer and I have put panels and breakers and now can take welders and air compressors to the site of the need.

[ James Peck] Air cooled Honda engine. Looks like there is no air cooled Tier 4 approved diesel for the US.

The belly uses a Cat 1 hitch as does the rear three point. A hydraulically driven belly mower is promised.

http://www.thinkoggun.com/oggun-tractor

[James Peck] This Cleber updated version of the G uses a 19 HP engine.

https://www.farm-equipment.com/articles/15598-cleber-llc-ogg%C3%BAn-tractor

[James Peck] Lower tech tractors
http://blog.farmhack.org/2016/05/04/the-cuban-allis-chalmers-g/

[Aaron Dickinson] They were and are very popular with the vegetable truck farms. We have some good muck farms around here and most of them used the G.  Several of the farms have moved away from vegetables, and when they did the Allis's went too. I saw something a couple of years ago about some company making a new tractor based on the G.

[Herb Metz] The Allis G was powered (a misnomer as the engine was rated at 10 H.P.) by a readily available small Continental 4 cylinder engine.  They were economical but not known for being long lived. Engine parts are expensive or not readily available. One of several conversion kit-engines available is an electric motor; some of these incorporate a solar panel as a roof over the operator. Herb(GA)