[AT] towing tractors with a pickup

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Mar 29 01:26:28 PDT 2019

James Peck wrote:
> I do not know at what speed I would tow a tractor with a tow bar.
> Looks a lot easier than loading it on a trailer for short distances.
>
> https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=3542#

Back in the 80's my family was cutting a LOT of firewood and logs after
a "logger" illegally cut trees on the old farm and 2 neighbors.
We used 3 tractors in the woods, a TO-20, a 35 Deluxe and the old F-20.
The newer tractors stayed on the farm but the F-20 went home during the
week. 6.5 miles one way. Was a LONG slow drive on a tractor with no road
gear at a bit under 4mph. After the second week Dad and I welded up a
tow bar for it. Very similar to the right one. It bolted on and we towed
the tractor behind the truck. Cut the time down to about 20 minutes. I
used to stay on the tractor to steer as the tricycle front didn't track
very well. It was a fun ride as a fearless teen.

The F-20 pulled the trailer in/out of the woods with the tools and the
other two were log skidders. Used to hook onto a log, lift it slightly,
block it, then back up and hook the drawbar on the three-point under the
log. The drag was downhill all the way to the last field where you
crossed a creek and then climbed up to the road level. 2/3 of the time
the tractor nose was in the air and I steered with the brakes!!

We had a couple people come in and help cut, One guy ran an AC-C. He
managed to get hung on a stump and snapped the tractor in half through
the torque tube. Loaded it into the truck and trailer, took it to the
shop and welded it back together. Guess I did OK as the tractor was
still in use a few years ago.

--
Steve W.