[AT] FW: towing tractors with a pickup

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 08:11:12 PDT 2019

I have tow bars for both my Farmall Super M and my Super MTA. Very easy to
make for them.
I have towed the Super M (has a loader and 3 point) to the mini-farm in the
next county (about 15 miles) for work there. When I got there I had the
truck loaded with needed tools and the loader and grader blade.
One year I towed both tractors at one time to a tractor show at the county
fairgrounds in town (only 3 miles). On that trip I caught the eye of a city
police officer who followed me to the fairgrounds, looked over what I had
and we had a friendly chat and he left. He said that he was just curious
since he had never seen anything like that before and wondered where I was
going.
The downside to towing instead of trailering is dealing with rough pavement
and the need for reduced speeds especially on rough pavement and lower
speeds on main roads than other traffic. Obviously I would never tow on the
interstate...  That would not be a friendly visit.  :-)
The suspension on a trailer is a lot easier on a tractor than towing it.
Years ago (mid 1950's) the local fertilizer business was towing a Farmall
Super M and an anhydrous applicator using a little "cart" that held the
front wheels of a tricycle tractor chained down. Back then they did a lot
of custom application.
Today the scary towing going on is fertilizer dealer employees pulling two
full anhydrous nurse tank wagons behind a pickup running 50 MPH. That and
the guys (and a few women) towing two 300 bushel hopper wagons at near
highway speeds behind a stock 1/2 ton pickup.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 1:01 AM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Agco bought the Challenger line from Caterpillar in 2001. Your dads must
> be a 2001 or earlier.
>
> [Brian VanDragt] My dad tows his truck behind the tractor, and scraper.
> See attachment.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA