[AT] OT Raymond Loewy and Cockshutt

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 30 12:18:19 PDT 2019

The Fairbanks Morse Trainmaster was influenced by Raymond Loewy.

https://www.american-rails.com/h24-66.html

The people I knew who had operated Fairbanks Morse spoke favorably of them.

About this time of year 45 years ago I balked at moving up east to work in the EL Hoboken and Jersey City shops. I had a young child, one on the way, and the moving expense was to be on me. I would love to have been involved with the car ferries across the Hudson but you can't do everything.

If the Minneapolis Moline sled tractor had continued south past the camp I mentioned another quarter mile it would have crossed the EL tracks that ran up to the Cleveland ore docks. Some locomotives were still painted in the old Erie paint scheme.

The Erie had had the headquarters relocated to Cleveland from NYC during the great depression.

[Mark Johnson] Raymond Loewy is also responsible for the exterior and interior design of the post-WW2 passenger trains of the Monon Railroad. The Monon, a uniquely Hoosier railroad, ran through my grandparents' farm near Leipsic - that line is, sadly, now abandoned, but when I was a youngster, hosted 6 to 12 heavy freight trains every day.
Tractor/farming connection: On at least two occasions, the Monon was a factor in grass fires on the family farm...once when a locomotive sparked a fire, and another time when *we* started a fire in wheat stubble with a bad muffler on our grain truck...but couldn't get the tractor and disk to the fire because it was on the other side of the railroad and a train happened along at just the wrong time. IIRC, each of those fires burned at least 20 acres, although in both cases there was no 'economic' damage - the fire set by the train burned off a field that we were going to plow within a few weeks anyway.
From our historical society's website, https://monon.org, here is an artist's view of the Loewy-designed livery for Monon passenger trains:

Mark J Columbia MO Enthusiastic fan of things that make smoke, noise, and get the job done...tractors, trains, and rockets in particular!

[Dean Vinson] Interesting stuff.  Raymond Loewy and Henry Dreyfuss between them sure influenced a lot of products (not just farm tractors) that became part of everyday life. Dean Vinson Saint Paris, Ohio

[James] In the late fifties Loewy changed to a square nosed design.

https://www.farmcollector.com/field-notes/cockshutt-tractors-zmnz17marzhur