[AT] IH Doncaster became McCormick

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 2 05:24:57 PST 2019

The European Union required CaseIH to divest the Doncaster plant in order to get EU approval for the purchase of CaseIH by New Holland. CaseIH had not been using the McCormick name anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCormick_Tractors

I am not sure yet when Argo bought Landini which had long been owned by Massey Ferguson. In the era when MF owned Landini, Landini sometimes produced tractors painted for each brand. Landini had been using Perkins diesels from when both Landini and Perkins were MF subsidiaries. I am not sure of when Argo got full ownership of Landini. I am not sure of when Argo got control of McCormick.

I have seen a  Landini dealership in Ontario.

I used to go to a plant in Kentucky near Abe Lincoln's birthplace. There was a McCormick dealership across the street and I looked over the selection. I like their looks.

[Al Jones]] Doncaster continued to make the CaseIH 85 series and their descendants which were carried over from IH with different sheet metal. When they became the CX series they unfortunately got Perkins engines instead of the old IH designed engines. Looks like CaseIH sold the plant in 2001.  McCormick (Landini) then built tractors there which were basically the old CaseIH series.  Plant closed in 2007.

The 424 gasoline tractors were built at Doncaster from the flywheel back.  The diesels were built with their engine.  Louisville added sheet metal, front axle,  wheels & tires, gasoline engine, etc.

[James] Looks like Doncaster did not survive the purchase of IH by Case.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/3/330-international-harvester-424.html

Was the 424 designed in the UK and then manufactured in Doncaster and Louisville?

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/3/330-international-harvester-424.html

Al Jones] 404 and 504 were the first American IH tractors with three point hitch and draft control.  There were several 40's around here, all International (utility) versions, not Farmall row-crops.  They were 3 plow tractors (36 hp)  in the same class as the MF 135, Ford whatever, etc.

The family lineage from the Farmall C is very evident if you park them side by side.  The C-135 engine looks almost identical to the C-113 and C-123 in the C and Super C.

My dad bought a new 424 instead of a 404.  From a distance they look identical until you get closer.  They have the same horsepower.  The 424 was based on the British IH B-414. He liked the 8 speed transmission and the 424 had about a 6" shorter wheelbase.  424 also weighs more.  Without power steering the 404 handles much better.  Both tractors will pull the same implements around here.