[AT] Spark Plug Fouling Ferguson TO20

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Jun 23 18:37:00 PDT 2019

That tractor is recommended to use 30w in summer and 20W in winter.
multi-grade oils don't work as well in the older engines as they do not
get hot enough for the viscosity modifiers to work.   Your sig line
states Falcon, CO, definitely cooler than OK, so I would check to make
sure my thermostat was working to keep the engine hot enough.  It is
possible that you carburetor is running a little rich.  Worst case is
the oil ring is bad on that cylinder.  At your altitude, I would use at
least 89 octane gasoline.  In the old days there was a high compression,
high altitude piston for that tractor at that altitude.  Tractor supply
used to offer a high altitude piston and sleeve set.   The sleeve set
available for that tractor is the overbore set with 3.375 pistons the
original was the 3.125 pistons.   The high altitude pistons were
domed...  I do not find a listing for hte high altitude pistons.  That
tractor is not exceptionally difficult to rebuild, nor is it a time
consuming job to rebuild.  The last one I overhauled took 3 days to do,
and that included cleaning and the head work.  The parts for a running
engine should not cost over $550.  If you pay attention to the bearing
wear, etc. you might be able to reuse a lot of parts, if you mark and
save them.
Cecil