[AT] Compressor Problems

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Jun 8 13:45:02 PDT 2019

This is a little off topic, but I use this compressor to blow out my hay
equipment before putting it back in the shed, and also to blow out the
radiators.   It is a Ingersoll Rand VAne Type compressor 250 cfm powered
by a 4-53 Detroit diesel.   When the compressor build back up and the
engine begins to idle down it makes a loud clicking sound.  I cannot
determine if it is a rod knocking or maybe valve related.  I know Bo
Hinch had a lot of experience with these engine compressor
combinations.  I don't think the compressor is making the noise.   I had
some knocking in the engine a couple of years ago when I changed the oil
and used 15W-40 Mystic.   I changed over to 40W Mystic and it stopped
the knocking, but now the loud click.   I cannot afford for this machine
to be down if we ever get a hay crop to bale.  My baler has to be blown
out every day or the belts bind up with chaff and stop.

Cecil