[AT] OK, oddball question...

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 04:40:17 PDT 2019

The problem with trying to operate while charging (presumably, charging off
a 36-volt alternator driven by a small engine) is that, basically, your
alternator is supplying some/most/all of the cart's electric motor
current.  How much depends on the batteries' state of discharge as well as
the demands of the cart, so it's a pretty big variable.  But the problem is
that you risk overloading the alternator.  Now if it is sized appropriately
then you minimize or eliminate the problem.

Have you ever put a tractor battery (obligatory tractor reference) on a
small, say 10-amp charger, forget to disconnect it later, and try to start
the tractor?  Well OK at least *I* have made that mistake.  What happens?
Even with a pretty well-charged battery, the internal circuit breaker in
the charger trips.  That is pretty much analagous to what I'm talking about
above.

SO