[AT] OT don't take any Buffalo Nickels

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 7 16:10:45 PDT 2019

Bison is the French word for the animal. Using Bison as the English word also makes things much easier in a bilingual English/French country.

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-french/bison

[James Peck]  <snip>I suspect the Canadian government is behind the effort to use the term “Bison”. I am OK with that. French and Spanish both have government agencies in the home countries to regulate those languages. English, to my knowledge, does not.

The first mass migration of English speakers into Canada was of American Loyalists fleeing the American Revolution. I bet they said “Buffalo”. I do not know if Buffalo/Bison ranged as far east as the east coast of Canada. <snip>