[AT] OT MAPP gas for silver brazing

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 4 07:48:52 PDT 2019

Looks like the original MAPP product went out of production due to mergers and acquisitions. MAP Pro successor seems to be mostly propylene like the Wiki article states. That SDS includes an email address for what may be a US contact. The Bernzomatic site to me there.

https://worthingtonindustries.com/getmedia/bba7f851-cf99-4fcd-962a-0a576ae71d50/WC001-Propylene-SDS_Ireland-(English).pdf

The silver brazing takes more heat than propane can produce.

I still own a Linde welder which I haven't used for decades.

[Dave Merchant] That wiki article is pretty ambiguous about the fake MAPP that you buy now.  How does the fake compare with the original MAPP? https://www.youtube.com/user/SteamCrane

[Jack]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP_gas

[Jack] 20 years ago I was quoting some work where people would pack MAPP torches and gas cylinders in their toolboxes. Then go to remote job sites and silver braze O Ring Face Seal  (ORFS) flanges onto steel  hydraulic tubing. It took a lot of convincing but it worked great.

 [ Spencer Yost] I have had a lot of luck with MAPP torches. Much hotter than propane, and much safer and easier to use than oxy acetylene sets. If I remember correctly it’s heat content is similar to acetylene tho flame temperature is lower.  Or maybe that’s vice-versa.  I’m sure there are several folks on this list who know this type of information off the top of their heads and can chime in.

 If the metal is really huge then the MAPP torch might not be enough. But I can get some pretty big chunks of steel cherry red with MAPP.  My haywagon slip tube was the only project in recent memory that made me wish I had an oxy-acetylene outfit.

 https://www.truevalue.com/professional-on-demand-map-pro-torch

 [Dean VP Snohomish, WA 98290] What torch tips do you have available to you? It is incredibly hard to try to teach welding vs heating w/o melting via this forum. Isn't there someone that you could ask to help?

 [STEVE ALLEN] OK, per Dean's advice, I have gotten my hands on an
 acetylene torch, but I don't have any experience with one to speak of.
 I would appreciate any hints anyone can offer about technique for
 getting the bolts out.  I have watched a couple YouTube videos, but
 they are focused on cutting, and cutting is what I *don't* want to do
 ;-) Thanks for any pointers you might offer! The "original" Steve
 Allen