[AT] MM UDLX

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 20:47:13 PST 2019

The mention of the UDLX (car-ish tractor) triggered a memory of an old
Dutch couple that lived near my maternal grandparents on the near-east side
of Indy in the early 1950's. My grandparents knew them fairly well and said
that they were pretty nice people "except" for the guy's excessive love of
beer. It had cost him his driver's license a couple of times and they
finally took it for a longer period of time. His wife didn't drive at all
so to get around they drove their old MM tractor. I think it may have been
a ZTU or something that looked much like one. It had the big wide fenders
and a more full platform than later tractors like my MM-R. I remember
seeing them headed for church one Sunday morning, her all nicely dressed
and him in his suit and tie. I don't think the tractor ever got hosed
off... I was just a kid but I was already well into tractors and I remember
noticing how dirty it always was. Back then they were running on almost all
gravel roads in big clouds of dust. That had to be bad on their best
clothes.
They only lived maybe 3 miles from their church and from a small town with
a reasonably complete down-town.
They sure could have used a UDLX.  :-)

.

Francis Robinson