[AT] OT Some background to your tire/ rim issue.

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Wed Jan 9 20:00:05 PST 2019

This issue is not unique to the East and Midwest.  Many years ago I was driving a rental car back toward the Tucson, AZ Air Port going East on E. Valentia Rd, probably 10 PM or so.  It is on the Southern Edge of the residential part of Tucson.  Probably more residential now.  But I had just passed under Interstate 10  and was traveling maybe 30 to 40 MPH and the next thing I see is a flash of white. The deer had partially come down an embankment and jumped directly in front of me. I hit the deer broadside before I even had a chance to react. I slammed on the brakes and pulled off the side of the road.  I went looking for the deer because I assumed it was going to be either dead or seriously injured.  Never did find it. Then went back to look at the front of the car.  Total devastation but the radiator hadn't been damaged. One headlight was still working but the whole front end was pushed =n  but not against the wheels.  It looked drivable to me.  But since it was a rental car I called the police to file a report so I could deal with the rental agency properly. Then I had to think about whether or not I needed to get clean underwear. It happened so fast, and then was over so fast it was one of these kinds of things where you start shaking after it is all over. I can still see that flash of white fur occasionally in my memory. I don't know if it was the back end of a white tail or whether I just saw something white but it was in and out of my eyesight in less than a second.   Totally helpless feeling. I drove back to my hotel for the evening but didn't sleep very well.

PS: As a result, the City of Tucson removed that deer crossing sign and moved it elsewhere where there was less auto traffic.   😊

Dean VP
Apache junction, AZ