[AT] Deer Stikes

STEVE ALLEN steveallen855 at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 9 13:57:15 PST 2019

About 15 years ago, my son (then about 6) and I were driving home from church after Cub Scouts.  The road was hilly and icy; on the left was a steep RR embankment coming done to meet the road, and on the right was a drop-off into the woods.  A light sleet/freezing rain was coming down; I was driving slow, but I hadn't a prayer of stopping.  A big doe jumped down the RR embankment and tried to clear the road in front of me.  She didn't make it.  I had a heavy grill guard on my '69 Chevy K-10, and the right end caught her in her right hip.  It pushed the guard back into the edge of the grill, putting a little crumple into the aluminum.  It also bent the right front bumper mount.  The last I saw of the deer, she was at about 10' AGL and going up, out over the drop-off.  No venison out of that strike, but, for a split second, it was rather like watching one of Santa's reindeer take off.

The "original" Steve Allen
Near Rolla, MO