[AT] antifreeze toxicity was OT - oil stop leak

farmallgray at aol.com farmallgray at aol.com
Tue Feb 19 07:08:16 PST 2019

I looked into possibly using the waterless coolant a few years ago in my pulling tractor. I did a lot of research and read a lot of forum posts about it. I decided against it because most of what I read said that the system would run hotter in general. My other thought was that if running straight anti-freeze had a lot of advantages, the vehicle manufacturers would have been doing it for decades. Yes, it has a higher boiling point, but I don't think I want the system to be regularly running hotter than what we consider normal. Maybe in some systems it runs cooler, but I'm notsold on the idea.
As it turns out my problem on the pulling tractor was caused by running an engine driven water pump. Apparently at high RPMs the water pump was cavitating. After I switched to an electric water pump it no longer overheats on a run.

In an earlier post to this thread, someone mentioned using RV anti-freeze as engine coolant. That is not what it is made for and it may cause problems. It is made for winterizing the water plumbing systems in RVs and boats. I don't know if it is made to conduct heat as engine coolant does. But I do know I have seen bottles of it sitting on the shelf with bacteria or algaegrowing in it. I would think this could cause problems in a cooling system.I used to use it in my pulling tractor to winterize the water injection system before and after indoor winter pulls. I have since switched to using windshield washer fluid because whatever grows in the RV anti-freeze was clogging the filter and nozzles.

Todd MarkleSpring Mills, Pa.