[AT] Old tractor question

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Wed Feb 13 14:23:03 PST 2019

This is a question I have wondered about for years although it is not
world changing. The question is: why are some areas mostly wide front
and others narrow front tractors?  In our area of Michigan, as soon as
wide front became available almost 100% went with wide front.
Personally, I hate narrow front tractors with a passion. I would never
get a narrow front tractor except maybe an old 2 cylinder JD or
something like a Farmall F-12 where wide front either did not exist or
is extremely rare. I know that in some areas the larger tractors had
narrow front because of mounted corn pickers. From videos other areas
had narrow fronts. If you Google  ( tractors from the past, plowing in
1962) you will find many tractors plowing but I didn't see a single wide
front even on a couple new generation JD's. I don't know where the video
was filmed but I suspect Indiana because of the fields and the way they
raised the plows to go over grassed waterways; something I still see
when we travel there to see our kids. I'm not sure, but I think the 4020
Farmer used to own had a narrow front. Also why does no one make narrow
front anymore? In the video, even the Ford disking has a narrow front,
something I have never seen in our area and in years past there were a
lot of Fords around us. Comments anyone.
            Greg Hass