[AT] Vehicle cooling before AC

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:42:36 PST 2019

I'm familiar with them but never owned one. A very good friend used to
laugh about an uncle of his who
bought one for a trip out south-west. He loaded it with water before they
left here and went west for a
couple of days before using it except for a quick test when leaving home.
When it got hot enough to need it he reached up and pulled the cord. He
said that the stench was almost unbearable.
It turned out that he grabbed a couple of old milk cartons from the trash
to fill it and he didn't rinse them first.
There was just enough milk left in them to make the water very very rancid
in the heat... My friend said his aunt
 never did let his uncle forget that blunder.  :-)  They washed it out but
finally had to bleach it to get rid of the smell.

.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:22 PM Ralph Goff <alfg at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On 2/12/2019 4:46 PM, bloomis at charter.net wrote:
>
> A California thing for sure. If you check out low rider cars, i.e. early
> 50 models, particularly Chevys, a lot of them have them on the restored
> products. Same so with 'eyebrows'. Well a bit huge but you get the point.
>
> Bradford
>
> Those big tubular things hanging on the side of the car were known as
> "swamp coolers" I believe. We never saw them on vehicles but there was
> something similar on the
>
> early tractor cabs. Known as a cab cooler. It had a big foam sponge filter
> that was kept soaked in water by a pump. The cab fan drew air through it
> and blew the somewhat
>
> cooled air into the cab. It was better than nothing but nowhere close to a
> good air conditioner.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

> www.avg.com
> <#m_-6139691265322758950_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com