[AT] Vehicle cooling before AC

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Feb 12 17:22:32 PST 2019

On 2/12/2019 4:46 PM, bloomis at charter.net wrote:

> A California thing for sure. If you check out low rider cars, i.e.
> early 50 models, particularly Chevys, a lot of them have them on the
> restored products. Same so with 'eyebrows'. Well a bit huge but you
> get the point.
>
> Bradford

Those big tubular things hanging on the side of the car were known as
"swamp coolers" I believe. We never saw them on vehicles but there was
something similar on the

early tractor cabs. Known as a cab cooler. It had a big foam sponge
filter that was kept soaked in water by a pump. The cab fan drew air
through it and blew the somewhat

cooled air into the cab. It was better than nothing but nowhere close to
a good air conditioner.

Ralph in Sask.

---
https://www.avg.com