[AT] 8.9 liter Perkins

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:49:30 PST 2019

3 pressure systems? Does that mean three hydraulic pumps? Where were they all located?

[Cecil Bearden]The high pressure 3000+ psi for lift, the 1500+ for steering and then the  +/-500 psi for multi power clutches controls and PTO controls.   We had one for several years.  MF left out a snap ring in the PTO clutch and it did not work for the original owner.  It was 6 years old when we bought it.  We had to pull the cab and the top deck to find the problem.  A few years later my Dad put the wrong oil in the hydraulics and the multi power and PTO started to have problems.   Later found the O-rings were going bad and to repair meant nearly a complete disassembly of the tractor.   It went to Mexico.

A few years later we bought a 7030 Allis Chalmers to replace that tractor.  The Allis has the same features and a few more, but only one pressure system.   After I sealed off the dash to get the Air conditioner working it was  very good tractor and very simple. The problem with it now is a large diameter O-ring in the main clutch is going bad.  It means a split of the tractor, but can be repaired for a 2 day job...

I really liked that 1155 Massey, but it developed so many problems and used so much fuel it was a pain.  The V-8 has to be kept running above
1900 rpm or it gets hot...    Our 1155 was built while Massey was having a lot of problems.  I grew up in a MF dealership, and I bled red & grey, had red & grey underwear too.  But that 1155 we had just ruined Massey as far as I am concerned.   They got more complicated than necessary.