[AT] antifreeze toxicity was OT - oil stop leak

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 17 10:48:55 PST 2019

US manufacturers are supposed to be adding denatonium benzoate to ethylene glycol to make it taste bitter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol

The sweet smell is how you know you are leaking coolant. The additives may affect the smell.

The oral lethal dose for humans  is way more than a taste.

Propylene glycol is a substitute and antifreeze with it is available. I do not know the cost difference. Propylene glycol is also used as a food additive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

I have been buying antifreeze based on price. Maybe I should change my ways and buy propylene glycol brands.

Does anyone know of any reason why antifreeze based on propylene glycol should not be used in older tractors?

[ John Hall] Agree, stench is added to some pesticides, why can't it be added to this?