[AT] Of the 10 worst tractors, two were made by Fiat. 4 were from brands eventually acquired by Fiat.

deanvp deanvp at att.net
Tue Feb 12 13:24:42 PST 2019

It is obvious to me that the author was throwing *hit at the wall to see if any of it would stick. That is known as collidiscope marketing research.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy Tablet
-------- Original message --------From: Spencer Yost <spencer at rdfarms.com> Date: 2/12/19  7:28 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] Of the 10 worst tractors, two were made by Fiat. 4 were from brands eventually acquired by Fiat. Stephen,That was my very first question too.  Looks like he’s just writing article to write an article. He found some complaints and put them on the list.     I owned an MT and could not get rid of it fast enough. It was not a terribly useful tractor.   I don’t think it belonged on the 10 worst of all time though. But this brings up the sampling error prevalent in so many opinions that I hear. It’s becoming very rare to run across the folks like Herb Metz, George Willer, Gene Dotson, Gil Schwartz and others , who were around and using these machines when they were new. They  probably are the only ones that have an accurate picture of what was a lemon and what wasn’t. I’m 57,  so in reality I am only familiar with each models “survivors” - “residents of the right hand tail of the bell curve” if you will, and  clearly not the units that were  lemons. I really like my Ford 861, but did I just get one of the top 10% made in terms of quality and workmanship? If I had bought one new in the late 50s would I have had a 15% chance of buying one causing nothing but heartache and grief? Being this young I can’t answer this question.Sampling bias is real, alive, and loose in the world. You always have to guard against itSpencer YostOn Feb 12, 2019, at 4:37 AM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:What makes that guy the authority on the subject?On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:47 AM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:Two of the 10 were made by Fiat. Another 4 were from brands eventually acquired by Fiat. Amazingly jd has 2 of the 10.

Massey Ferguson had a dud. They used a Cat engine. Should have stayed with Perkins.

http://www.brushcountryfarm.com/2018/05/10worst-tractors-of-all-time-i-enjoyed.html

https://harryferguson.blogspot.com
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/5103068/