[AT] Test: trying to solve my problem

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 17:12:02 PST 2019

Hi Greg:
Year from hell is about right for the weather here in Central Indiana too.
At least we have only had a tiny amount of snow so far. There were
thousands of acres unplanted here and south of here. Then it stayed really
hot and dry most of the summer. Pastures did poorly early and in mid summer
both. Hay is running quite short around here and quality is poor. About
"everything" was difficult this year.
Diana and I have both been ill since the weekend after Thanksgiving with
what the medical folks said is bronchitis caused by a viral infection. It
is very prevalent around here and they say it has been really hard to get
rid of it. We keep thinking we are going to get over it and then it comes
back. I "think" that I have a handle on mine now but I'm not sure about
Diana yet.
Everyday stuff like horse fence work and wood cutting and splitting has
been tough along with any brain work.  :-)    I got a major reprieve on
part of that this past week. Our youngest daughter came home for Christmas
from Vermont along with her daughter and son-in-law. She announced that she
was giving us 8 ricks of seasoned and split firewood from a local vendor as
a Christmas present. Also last week our son dropped 2 tri-axle loads of big
wood he acquired from a tree trimmer that we can cut and split. Lots of
stuff in it is short logs about 5' to 6' or so long and about 12" to 28" in
diameter. Most of it is pretty straight stuff unlike a lot of tree trimmer
wood. Then later he dropped off a shiny new 25 ton wood splitter that he
said he decided that the farm just needed. It is a trailer type that will
pivot to vertical or horizontal as wanted. I've always split all of my
firewood by hand with mauls and wedges (since 1965).
We have good kids... I understand that there had been some behind the scene
discussions about these things
*****
BTW, Happy Birthday Spencer...

.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 12:27 PM Greg Hass <ghass at m3isp.com> wrote:

> Although I have not solved my problem, I did get Ralph's reply and his
> weather report. Our weather here in Michigan's thumb is different.  We
> have had the year from He$$.  Spring was late and cold and wet. We
> started planting when we should have been done planting.  Then it quit
> raining and we had only about an inch for the whole summer and that came
> in about 5 small rains of only a tenth or two. Then we went from summer
> straight to winter with over a foot of snow the first part of November
> just as corn harvest started along with temperatures of as low  as 7
> degrees F.  We broke all kinds of records the first half of November.
> Harvesting losses on corn were quite high as I had to keep the header
> above the snow.  One time I guess I wasn't high as the sieves in the
> combine plugged with snow and I lost about 75 bushels before I caught
> it. Also with all the snow and mud, and there were many like me, each
> bin load in the combine had to be taken to the road and unloaded there,
> further slowing things down. The seasons have reversed because as I
> write this after 11 P.M. it is 40 degrees out and raining with around 2
> inches expected. The weatherman on the TV station for our area said in
> the next 2 days mother nature is going to throw us everything but the
> kitchen sink; rain, snow, sleet,cold and high winds. Our normal temps
> for this date are 30 daytime and 15 night time.
>                     Greg Hass

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA