[AT] ag tractor braking retrofits

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 11:13:42 PST 2019

Sounds about right Phil.  I had a '96 F-250 (old-style, pre Super Duty)
with rear drums.  Around the late 90's or early 2000's as you mentioned I
started seeing rear discs on pickups.  The Google will tell you about the
pro's and con's of drums vs discs in mostly layman's terms, but one thing I
don't see mentioned are the design parameters of ABS, traction control, and
stability control.  Of course you can have ABS on a drum-brake system; many
exist.  But discs have advantages:  better heat dissipation and more linear
response (brake force vs. line pressure).  I am guessing you can probably
cycle ABS faster on discs, as drums have a self-energizing effect on the
leading shoe and it probably takes longer to pull the shoe out of contact.
Traction control and stability control systems take various forms, and some
will automatically "tap" the brake on a spinning wheel.  Do that often
enough and heat dissipation is going to be a primary concern.

SO