[AT] How had the group changed

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 01:10:00 PST 2019

Like many I got on-line around 1994 or 1995 or so. I had dragged my feet
getting on-line for several reasons, not the least of which was because it
could get kind of expensive and I had heard and read about how dangerous
the net was. Every computer magazine was flooded with horror stories.
Another warning I had read was about how hostile and unfriendly many web
users were toward "non tech commoners" and I do actually recall having to
deal with some of that early on.
Also like others I had to change ISP's several times early on. Some of them
were really awful especially in rural areas. By doing that and using the
ISP's email, group memberships were started over every time I changed. I
finally wised up and and started using on-line Yahoo and later Gmail and
have had the same two email addresses ever since. I also keep a "burner"
email account on GMX for sites that demand an email address but I don't
want them sending me crap. I only look at that account a few times a year.
It's verifiable which makes them happy but about all I ever do there is
deleting stuff in bulk. That account is under an alias. Helps keep my
regular email clean.
I also refuse to give anybody my phone number. It's surprising how
insistent some sites can be to get your phone number. I solved that by just
giving them my old landline number that we used for over 20 years as our
business phone but cancelled over 20 years ago. It seems to satisfy
them...  😀
My wife, our 4 grown kids, the guy who rents our land and about 3 friends
have my cell phone number. Otherwise I guard it carefully. Diana's cell is
the portal for the horse clients, neighbors, other family, medical people
etc all have to get past her to talk to me. It really simplifies my life. I
never have to talk to any of my "dingy cat lady" neighbors about which cat
is missing today...  😀  I do enjoy visiting them but on my terms, not when
I'm laying under a vehicle trying to hold a part in place with one hand and
trying to start a bolt with the other or dealing with somebody's problem
horse.
I found ATIS doing a Yahoo search for antique tractors. There really were
not that many good sites back then so ATIS was my first and was what I was
looking for.

.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 12:17 AM <deanvp at att.net> wrote:

> Here is a picture from 1998 when the Western “Box” was being forwarded on
> to the next recipient.  In the picture from left to right is Ron Chew,
> Scott Satterley and yours truly.  This was taken at the Sky Valley Antique
> Tractor Show IN Monroe, WA in 1998 which may have been the first year I was
> a member of ATIS.
>

> Dean VP
>
> Snohomish, WA 98290

Francis Robinson