[AT] OT stamping press pits

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 12 07:41:34 PST 2019

As I said in my follow on response, l did a quick check and they apparently no longer have this program. Probably due to low participation (???).

However, that would not really be a problem here in Michigan in certain areas. In our northern areas, especially the upper peninsular, the land is cheap and a lot of it is not very good for farming, pretty wet low areas (can you say swampy). A lot of it it is sold in large 100+ parcels for hunting, or that remote get away cabin that you can only get to for maybe two months out of the year.

The state holds yearly closed bid land auctions of properties it acquires and can’t use. There is one going on at this time. Some of these can be large parcels that are landlocked and would hinder any real usage unless you can really get in good with the neighbors. I’m guessing that some of these large landlocked parcels were obtained because the owners couldn’t find a buyer and just decided to let the state take it for taxes instead of continuing to pay for something they couldn’t use.

I’ve checked these auctions in the past and was surprised to find that they even offer small parcels in developed communities that have already been fully built up with houses and paved roads. Can’t say if somebody bought they parcel and then couldn’t afforded to build a house, or if the developer just sold all they could and then
let the state take the few parcels they couldn’t sell to avoid shelling out any of their profits in taxes.

Where we live we paid $30M for our 10 acres, 5 cleared and 5 old growth trees. That was 20 years ago. Now a 10 acre parcel is going for over $90+ for 10 acres of clear land. Some of the older homes in the area that were built in the 60’s, or are all that remain of the original farm, are selling for over $300M for 5 acres.

My wife is currently upset because somebody is putting up a prefab house on one of the 2-1/2 acres next to us. We moved out her to get away from the over crowding in the city and to enjoy the quietness of the area. Our nearest neighbor was over 600 feet away and we couldn’t see any other houses unless we went up to the second floor, or the leaves on the trees fell in the fall. During the summer from the second floor we could see one house half a mile away. When the leaves fell we could see parts of the house down the road. Now my wife is talking about a pole barn to block the view of the prefab house so she can’t see it. Just what I need, another project!!!!

Carl