[AT] repairing machined arts

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 05:42:28 PST 2019

I've been watching some back episodes of Jay Leno's Garage "Restoration
Blog" on Youtube.  He makes pretty frequent references to 3D printing.  I
believe what he's doing is printing patterns for investment casting.  The
actual casting process is most likely done by a job-shop.  Spencer's
Lulzbot has a good explanation of the process:

https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/tutorials/3d-print-patterns-investment-casting

Basically the molds are ceramic, not sand, and the pattern is consumable,
not removable.  Very good tolerances are achievable, unlike sand casting.

SO