[AT] Tractor Hauling pickup

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Dec 3 07:00:20 PST 2019

As I remember the Duramax was cast and machined in several countries and
then assembled in the USA.   The Duramax does nto have a real good
reputation here in OK.  For 1 ton hot shot use, the first choice is the
Dodge Cummins then the Ford, and then last is the Duramax.  For all
around use, the ford seems to last the longest.  The Dodge cabs fall
apart after 200K miles on our rough roads.  In Hot shot use puling a
trailer, 200K miles is not a very long time, and with the high cost of a
replacement, the engine performance becomes not as important as the
reliability and durability.  Back in the 80's when trucks were used for
working, an old timer who checked wells daily used a Ford for driving
the well route.  When he traveled on the road he used a Chevy.  The
Chevy handled the best and rode the best on the highway, but that Twin I
beam design in both 2 and 4 wd on the Ford was the best ride on rough
rutted well location roads...
Here in Oklahoma, we have so much of an influx of people who never lived
in the country but decide to move out onto 5 acres.  Then they can't
stand for their SUV to get dirty so they raise a ruckus with the
commissioners until the roads are paved.  Due to the chip and seal cost,
they only lay down a 2 inch coating.  The oil patch trucks find a new
road and immediately change their route.   The road looks like the Ho
Chi Minh Trail within 2 months.  Then the county sends out a jail crew
to fill the holes with cold patch and now what was a hole is now 1 to 2
inches higher than the roadway. For us who are retired and have to make
our vehicles last, we have to dodge these holes and drive a lot slower
than when we had  a shale road that was graded every 3 months. ( maybe)
The people who have moved out here are now always in a hurry to get back
into town so they drive like a bat out of hell and then trade their
vehicles every 2 or 3 years as the suspension is shot.
It is a never ending battle to keep enough land to farm and compete with
the developers and absentee heirs who are just looking for a fast buck
for the land.
I have digressed form the topic, my apologies....
Cecil