[AT] tractor service its stamping press pits

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 11 08:29:36 PST 2019

Tractors usually have good ground clearance so I am not sure pits are needed. However, I would expect the floor of such a pit would need to support the weight of a machine being serviced on a jack stand.

One thing we do know about service pits is that they cannot drain to daylight. They would need a sump to contain any drainage that could later be pumped out. They would be tight enough to prevent leakage into the surrounding soil.

One place I worked had 4 electrically powered screw jacks. The machine being lifted would remain horizontal because all four motors would run at once.

I have witnessed wetlands being filled for both residential and commercial buildings recently.

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer (soffiler at gmail.com); Service pits are just pits.  Stamping press pits support very large, very heavy equipment that creates high shock and vibration in service, enough to literally shake the ground, hence the recommendation for a soil study.

Aaron Dickinson AT List Member and soda blastor (a_dickinson at att.net); I suspect most service pits are shallow enough to not require a geotechnical report, however any building project’s foundation design (including service pits) is based on soil bearing capacity (at residential level often done by visual or typical for area). When it doubt build for the lesser bearing.

James AT List Member (jamesgpeck at hotmail.com); I believe Cecil mentioned he was involved with things geotechnical. This talks about having a geotechnical report before designing a stamping press pit.

https://www.stampingjournal-digital.com/stampingjournal/20191112/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=1&folio=26#pg26

I wonder if such a report is used in designing tractor dealership service shops.