[AT] Big Truck Pickups

macowboy macowboy at comcast.net
Mon Dec 2 10:05:16 PST 2019

The problem is see with Lean and other flavor of the day fixes is the lack of management support for the program. Management goes through the.motions to say that they have implemented a specific program with out understanding what resources are needed. I know firsthand of one company in RI that got state funding for Lean training but ended up just pocketing the money. The excuse was that it would not work at their company.  The persons company had a dramatic decrease in personnel and eventuality sold to a holding company. The former owner is now the executive director of a RI manufactures site.Don't forget to add six sigma to your lean program otherwise you will just make bad parts faster!Jim Thomson401-339-6902Rehoboth, MASent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> Date: 12/2/19  9:01 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] Big Truck Pickups I agree that Lean principles are most naturally applied to production type environments.  But a good "Lean thinker" can apply tools such as the Five S's and the Seven Wastes to pretty much anything, including non-repetitive administrative tasks.SOOn Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:42 AM Mark Johnson <markjohnson100 at centurylink.net> wrote:

    I should be more fair...the application of Lean did not cause the
      financial difficulties - those are endemic to the company and have
      been for a couple of decades - but the organization has not, in my
      view, benefited significantly from their use. There is still (I
      left their employ about 15 months ago) a severe tendency toward
      administrative bloat and decision-making that takes place at
      entirely too high a level. The local site manager here doesn't
      even have the authority to close the office when the weather is
      impossible (e.g., a 12-15 inch snow, which happened twice while I
      worked there).

    Personally, I found the Lean principles to be viable but the
      company is one of those "Lean in Name Only" users. I do question
      the use of Lean in the delivery of IT services because they aren't
      a production line.  Each customer's services are unique in many
      ways, and it seems really difficult to create a standard service
      catalog.

    Mark J

    On 12/1/2019 9:05 AM, Stephen Offiler