[AT] Agricultural Equipment Diagnostic Technicians was OT two university STEM majors to avoid

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Aug 24 18:24:43 PDT 2019

I graduated with a BS degree in Ag Engineering. power & machinery
option.  Intent on going to work for Massey or Case or IHC or maybe
Allis.  I wanted the old Block Man job, the troubleshooter in the field,
Allis had one I had talked to a lot. I graduated in 75 and the
manufacturers were playing merger and acquisition, Massey was going
bankrupt and Allis was being dismantled by the Germans..  I went to work
for the state of OK a year later.  I stayed 30 years, but I always
wanted to work on injector pumps.   I had a scholarship offered to me to
the OSU technical instutute for diesel injection.  My folks nearly
disowned me if I went that route.  I ended up working every waking hour
as a mechanic to pay my way through college as an engineer. Then went
back to mechanic work to make a living after I graduated with that
precious degree......   I got a retirement, but I worked for less than
half salary of my counterparts for 30 years to get it...  If I could do
it over, I would go to the tech school.  I would have been $40K ahead at
the end of that 5 year period..
Cecil