[AT] Portland

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 18:59:22 PDT 2019

If anybody at Portland noticed that we were not there this evening... Not
one of our best days... Ever start in to do something you have done for
years and found it to now be a major effort? It seemed like every time I
tried to fix something I found two more things to fix and every one of them
put up a fight...  :-) And, I still have a herd of things to fix.
Anywho, we just didn't make it today. We did get loaded up tonight and plan
to leave fairly early tomorrow morning. We are only 2 hours away.
The heat, humidity and raining every few hours have been our worst enemy
this past week.

.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 4:21 PM Cecil Bearden <crbearden at copper.net> wrote:

> I headed out early this morning at 6:30 am to load the Ranger  and one of
> the Artic Cats to take to the dealers for service.  The Ranger needs a A/C
> belt, axle replaced, and oil change.  I could do it all here, but I have
> enough to do to get ready to sow wheat.  The Ranger dealer is 30 mi NW and
> the Arctic Cat dealer is 20 Mi East, so I was going to make a big circle.
> Really more like a funny rectangle.   The Arctic Cat was to get the rear
> fairing replaced as it was cracked from the factory.  I had the wife's
> Artic Cat there getting a carb rebuild and an oil leak fixed.    Finally
> had everything loaded after getting the correct ball mount to level the
> trailer and extending the safety chains to work with the new bed and bumper
> on the newer Chevy 3/4 ton.  Always something...
>
> I was going to swing by the local coop to get a new tire on the spare
> wheel that was flat, and fill up with gas.  When we got to the coop, the
> tire guy is a good friend and really looks out for all of his customers, he
> looked at the other tires and had me to come look.  3 of the 4 on the
> ground were severely cracked.  After thinking, 3 were over 15 years old and
> the "new"one was over 6 years old and on the ground only 8 months.  5tires
> and an hour later, and a 4 way lug wrench purchase also, we  were back on
> the road.  With the heat in the 100's and my inability to tolerate it,
> there was no way I was going to take a chance on those tires.  I got a
> touch of heat stroke out west about 2 months ago, and I just try to stay
> out of the sun as much as possible.  The highways in Oklahoma do not have
> shoulders on them, most have a 6 inch drop if you go off the pavement.  A
> blowout on a trailer tire can easily end in a wreck.  A tire tread coming
> off at 50mph or more can do some incredible things.
>
> This trailer I put them on is just the right size for the Ranger and also
> for the John Deere 170 skid steer I got last week.
> Cecil

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA