[AT] Portland

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Aug 21 13:15:42 PDT 2019

I headed out early this morning at 6:30 am to load the Ranger  and one
of the Artic Cats to take to the dealers for service.  The Ranger needs
a A/C belt, axle replaced, and oil change.  I could do it all here, but
I have enough to do to get ready to sow wheat.  The Ranger dealer is 30
mi NW and the Arctic Cat dealer is 20 Mi East, so I was going to make a
big circle.  Really more like a funny rectangle.   The Arctic Cat was to
get the rear fairing replaced as it was cracked from the factory.  I had
the wife's Artic Cat there getting a carb rebuild and an oil leak
fixed.    Finally had everything loaded after getting the correct ball
mount to level the trailer and extending the safety chains to work with
the new bed and bumper on the newer Chevy 3/4 ton.  Always something...

I was going to swing by the local coop to get a new tire on the spare
wheel that was flat, and fill up with gas.  When we got to the coop, the
tire guy is a good friend and really looks out for all of his customers,
he looked at the other tires and had me to come look.  3 of the 4 on the
ground were severely cracked.  After thinking, 3 were over 15 years old
and the "new"one was over 6 years old and on the ground only 8 months.
5tires and an hour later, and a 4 way lug wrench purchase also, we  were
back on the road.  With the heat in the 100's and my inability to
tolerate it, there was no way I was going to take a chance on those
tires.  I got a touch of heat stroke out west about 2 months ago, and I
just try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.  The highways in
Oklahoma do not have shoulders on them, most have a 6 inch drop if you
go off the pavement.  A blowout on a trailer tire can easily end in a
wreck.  A tire tread coming off at 50mph or more can do some incredible
things.

This trailer I put them on is just the right size for the Ranger and
also for the John Deere 170 skid steer I got last week.
Cecil