[AT] FW: US made tractors in JAPAN

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 28 13:53:33 PDT 2019

North shore of that Great Lake state.. South Shore of the lake. The border is in the middle, I believe.

[James Peck]I received an email from an AT list member pointing out that the US/Canadian tractor market is different than that of the rest of the world. An illustration. Around 60 years ago I knew a man whose job it was to live in an area of the world that most Americans would judge to be jungle. His mission was to get the local people to grow their food instead of hunting and gathering it. They bought 2 wheel walk behind tractors made in Japan. The man would have liked to have bought North American made equipment. The clients had never farmed with water buffalo or other draft animals.

I marveled at his ability to return to the US and persuade a woman to marry and go live in the jungle with him. He ended up growing grapes on the north shore of one of the Great Lakes close to the former Cockshutt and Massey Harris plants on the Canadian side after that woman inherited the land. Much of the specialized grape growing equipment is European designed.