[AT] High cost of tractor tires

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 06:13:16 PDT 2019

To my knowledge, TO20's were never sold new on steel. That means there must be an aftermarket manufacturer of steel wheels for them.

Has anyone seen a 4wd tractor on steel

[Steve W.] One way to get a set of tires around here is to visit the Amish folks who are looking to buy a tractor. They cannot use rubber tires so they will be pulling the tires and rims off. I bought a nearly new set for the TE20 a few years back for the price of 200 bucks and swapping on the steel wheels they already had. The worst part of the deal was that I had to drive the tractor back to the farm on steel....

[Greg Hass ] The high cost of tires has caused many older, but good tractors, to be  parked. About 6 years ago our neighbor had a 4 wheel drive Versatile  tractor with a little over 300 hp. Cummins engine. It was an older  one, probably over thirty years old. It did not have all the bells and  whistles, but he said it was good reliable power. One problem; it  worked great for spring tillage but come fall the tires were so worn  that in wetter ground they would spin. He said he priced new tires;  couldn't find used, and they were over $18,000. I'm guessing this may  have been tires and duals as he never ran singles. He said this was  more than the tractor was worth so during the winter he bought a newer  and a little bigger Versatile and was going to keep the old one for a  backup. Sadly, before he could carry out his plan, he died at age 59.  His two sons took over the farm that spring and sold the tractor with  the bad tires and just use the newer one with good tires  and bought a  used front wheel assist to do some of the lighter work.