[AT] High cost of tractor tires

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Apr 12 01:22:29 PDT 2019

Greg Hass wrote:
> The high cost of tires has caused many older, but good tractors, to be
> parked. About 6 years ago our neighbor had a 4 wheel drive Versatile
> tractor with a little over 300 hp. Cummins engine. It was an older one,
> probably over thirty years old. It did not have all the bells and
> whistles, but he said it was good reliable power. One problem; it worked
> great for spring tillage but come fall the tires were so worn that in
> wetter ground they would spin. He said he priced new tires; couldn't
> find used, and they were over $18,000. I'm guessing this may have been
> tires and duals as he never ran singles. He said this was more than the
> tractor was worth so during the winter he bought a newer and a little
> bigger Versatile and was going to keep the old one for a backup. Sadly,
> before he could carry out his plan, he died at age 59. His two sons took
> over the farm that spring and sold the tractor with the bad tires and
> just use the newer one with good tires  and bought a used front wheel
> assist to do some of the lighter work.
>           Greg Hass

One way to get a set of tires around here is to visit the Amish folks
who are looking to buy a tractor. They cannot use rubber tires so they
will be pulling the tires and rims off. I bought a nearly new set for
the TO20 a few years back for the price of 200 bucks and swapping on the
steel wheels they already had. The worst part of the deal was that I had
to drive the tractor back to the farm on steel....

--
Steve W.